Building capacities for effective cross-border and IWRM based development in the 3Ss basins (Mekong River)
Follow this link :
The pressures on water resources across the 3Ss Basins is intensifying. These pressures could in the future undermine the ability of the countries to meet their long term development objectives. There is a need to address and manage these existing pressures - and to strengthen cross border collaboration.
Stronger capacities for effective cross-border and IWRM based inter-sector planning and management of development in the 3Ss basins are created.
The 3 main areas of work - related to the basic sets of IWRM capacities - that can be summarized as follows :
Information : making information available and useful to strengthen understanding of change and to be applied in management at the river basin scale. This area of work includes the development of the website, collating information, and preparing information in forms that can facilitate dialogue, and analysis.
Tools : this cluster of activities refers to:
• testing of the IHA Sustainability Assessment Protocol
• development of a CIA scoping report and Terms of Reference for a Cumulative Impact Assessment of hydropower in the 3S basin
• development of tools for modeling Mekong tributaries
Dialogue : as a key principle of IWRM stakeholder participation represents a central area of work in its own right, but also a cross-cutting approach for the 3S Study. The main activities in this cluster are at two levels:
• the consultative process at watershed, sub-basin, basin and trans-boundary scales bringing decision-makers, resource users, NGOs together
• bringing decision-makers together from different sectors, and different countries to build confidence, awareness and support for application of IWRM in the 3S
To comment on this item: